Saturday, October 8, 2022

My Corona Diary (Take XXXIX): Pandemic, Endemic, Or What? A Few Housekeeping Notes

 <"Waiting For 
That Other Shoe To Drop..."
The Reckoner>


Alert readers of this blog will have noticed that I haven't posted a "Corona Diary" entry since May 1, or a good five months ago.
There are several reasons, starting with the mundane. The demands of a public service job force me to juggle other priorities, including my creative side, more judiciously than before.

I have roughly the same amount of time for creative ventures as before, but I have to measure out more energy for them, depending on how long my day runs, or how many tasks pile up in a typical week. So that's one thing.

I also don't want to wear out a particular idea, or series of them. The Squawker and I don't believe in creating at an industrial pace, just to outrun an algorithm (even if I'm carrying most of the art and writing load lately). When we have something to say, we'll say it. if not, then not. Simple as that.

We're not worried about making money, or keeping up with the virtual Joneses. and we also don't want to repeat ourselves. The essential themes of the pandemic -- the crippling isolation, extreme inequities, and social upheavals -- are long established, so there's no point in rehashing them constantly.

Even so, I'm keeping the "Corona Diary" concept and title. Maybe I'll change it, once Entry #50 rolls around ("Post-Corona Diary," anyone?), but I'm not rushing any decision. I'm sure that whatever happens outside my remote work bubble will influence what's written next, which is how "My Corona Diary" emerged.

Having something to write about also helps. It's been awhile -- maybe a year, in fact -- since I've written anything COVID-19 related, looked at any of those color-coded maps, to keep track of the spread, nor spot-checked what other media outlets were saying about any of it.

Most folk that I see, on those occasions when Squawker and I venture out to the store, or some medical appointment or other, aren't wearing their masks anymore. Most stores still require them, though, while a sign at the County Courthouse states, "Face coverings optional. We respect your choice." Such is the Alice in Wonderland world that COVID-19 has brought us.

The pundits call it "pandemic fatigue," which makes sense, on some levels. Two years of ever-changing information and recommendations will wear out the hardiest of souls, despite President Biden's recent attempts at FDR-style fireside reassurance ("We still have a problem with COVID. We're still doing a lot of work on it. But the pandemic is over").

Then why are we hearing about the prospect of powerful new variants, like BA.5, looming over this winter? And why is my sister telling me about sharp spikes at her agency in so-called "long COVID" claims, of people so debilitated by the disease, they can't work anymore, let alone function? 

What's more, people are still dying from COVID, though not at the fearsome rates we witnessed 2020, and much of last year, as well. But the 300-400 COVID deaths per day that we're currently logging still strikes me as a big deal. That's almost 3,000 people per week. Any way you slice it, that's an eye-popping number.

Maybe that's why the Squawker and I are still wearing our masks, and limiting our current outings and social contacts to the "strictly necessary" variety. Last night, for instance, the local art center hosted the screening of a dozen or so silent movies outside -- on the side of the building, with an appropriate soundtrack.

Children had opportunities to paint jack-o'-lanterns, and of course, the center promised plenty of refreshments. It sounded like a fun event, a way to break our isolation, if only for 90 minutes, or so. 
I duly pitched the idea to Squawker, who lobbed back a question: "Sure, it might be outside. But will we really able to see it all from the car?"

"Well, we could drive by and check it out," I offered. "We could park across the street, or the center's parking lot. If not, we can always go back home. It's not a big deal."

"Hmm, yeah, maybe..." I could see Squawker's reserve start to melt. "But chances are, they'll have everybody sitting on the lawn. Which means, we'll still be exposed to all their germs."

"Sure, I guess. We don't know where they've been, or who they've done it with. But still, I wouldn't mind..."

The discussion continued, for another 10 minutes or so, till we figured out that we weren't showing up. At one point, I cracked, "You know, we could probably look up those movies online, and watch them right here."

"That's just it," Squawker agreed. "I can't really sit that long, anyway. Not the way my body works, these days. I'd rather see a movie at home."

"That's a fair point, all right. Can't argue with that."

And there, we let the matter drop. That's our current dilemma, isn't it? As much as fun as that whole event sounded, something held us back. You can call it anxiety, or continued paranoia, or standard issue Midwestern reserve, or simply, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

But if decades of journalistic experience have taught me nothing me else, it's this. When you hear that other shoe, as it's whistling past your head, it means, you'd better pay attention. Or ignore it, at your peril. --The Reckoner


Links To Go (No All Clear Sign,
So No Hurries This Time):

CNBC: Dr. Fauci Says A New,
More Dangerous COIVD Variant Could Emerge...:

Fortune: Autumn COVID Variants

NPR: Joe Biden Says 
The COVID-19 Pandemic Is Over...:

No comments:

Post a Comment