Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Punk Rock Art Corner: For Your Consideration: Mr. Hawley, And His Ever-Changing Moods

 

<Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO),
Official Portrait>

"We're going to protect
the American people.

It’s the first job 
of the American government.

Any elected official
who has
law enforcement responsibility
and won’t do it
needs to resign.”

<Hawley, (non-)responding
to last summer's
Black Lives Matter protests,
Fox News, 8/27/20>



"The sole responsibility
left to Hawley and his colleagues
is to enforce the law
and bring Trump to justice.

"The American people
came under attack on Jan. 6.
The Republican president
refused to protect them.

"Any elected official 
who has 
law enforcement responsibility
and won’t do it
needs to resign.”

<"Law-and-Order Republicans
Like Hawley
Need to Impose
Law and Order on Trump"

<St. Louis Dispatch,
Editorial Page, 2/01/21>



"If you've been speaking
to folks at home,
I'm sure you know
how deeply angry and disillusioned many, many people are —
and how frustrated
that Congress has
taken little or no action."

<Hawley, justifying 
his objections
to certifying
Joe Biden's
election as President>

Axios, 12/31/20>


<"Fade To Black...
And Then Gray":
The Reckoner>

<"[Senate Majority Leader Mitch] McConnell asked Hawley
to explain what he planned to do on Jan. 6, said a source on the [GOP conference] call.

"Then, Indiana Sen. Todd Young pressed Hawley on which states 
he planned to contest, and Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey defended the integrity 
of his state's elections.

"There was just one problem: they were met with silence.

"Hawley hadn't dialed into the conference call..."

<Axios, 12/31/20>

"For most of the time, 
he was in a corner 
of the room by himself 
with no one talking to him 
or acknowledging him."

<Wall Street Journal,
"Hawley Faces 
Fierce Backlash 
From Colleagues, Donors After Capitol Riot," 1/08/21> 

<Former U.S. Sen. John Danforth,
R-MO (1976-96), Official Portrait>

"I thought he was special. And I did my best to encourage people to support him both for attorney general and later the US Senate and it was the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life.

"I don't know if he was 
always like this
and good at covering it up 
or if it happened.
I just don't know."

<John Danforth, rueing
his support for Hawley's
2018 Senate campaign,
St. Louis Post-Dispatch>



"When I think of 
all the lies I've told, 
It's a wonder I can stand myself...

"It's just 
my ever-changing moral stance
is up for grabs again...

"My ever-changing 
moral stance
is up for grabs again..."

<Stiff Little Fingers,
"My Ever-Changing Moral Stance,"
Tinderbox (1997)>

No comments:

Post a Comment