Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Outsider Art Gallery #1: 2 x 5 (The Reckoner) / 3 x 5 (The Squawker)

<2 x 5 : The Reckoner>

<"I Can't Explain (M-M-M-My Generation)">

If you've followed this blog any length of time, you'll have sussed that Mod culture is a major artistic influence of mine. This effort started with an idle thought ("What would all those smashed guitars and amps have looked like, once the Who were done with 'em?"). 

In the process, that opens up a window to ponder other questions, like the meaning of autodestruction, and whether it leads to the desired catharsis (or doesn't).

Not everybody got it, though. One older lady I used to know said, "Oh, what are all these tulips doing in this?" To which I said:

"Tulips? F#ck#n' tulips? 
You must be joking!!
"They ... are ... not ... 
f#ck#n' ... tulips!

"They are:
Guitars!! Guitars!! Guitars!!"

At that point, though, I decided i
t might be wise to make the connection
 a tad more explicit 
(hence, the Hi-Watt amp brand 
in the top left corner, 
ferinstance).

<"I Am" (Number Two)>

Squawker and I did collages for an art therapy group. 
The idea was to create a collage 
summarizing your best qualities, 
without getting long-winded, 
or giving the game away.
Which brings me to...


3 x 5: The Squawker

<"I Am (Number One)">

Squawker finished before I did, 
I think, hence...the title.
Titles in art can be
 quite an arbitrary business,
as Renoir proved, with one of 
my all-time favorites:
Woman Looking At A Vase Of Flowers.


<"Life">

A nice little 5" x 7" work from Squawker, 
reminds me of a softer take on the style of, 
say, Raymond Pettibon. 
What is the woman thinking, 
or feeling, 
or going through? 
You choose.


<"Club Scene">

Spot the personalities in this one: 
Andrew Eldritch, Noel Gallagher, 
Jimi Hendrix, and Iggy Pop,
 to name the male figures here 
enjoying a fantasy-fueled night 
on the tiles...
always loved this one!


Support Outsider Art:
*
& Send Us 
Some Of Yer Own...
**
If Ya Dare!!
***
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment