Sunday, November 5, 2017

Baby Boomer Disconnect: The Vacation Version

In my affluent town, it seems everywhere I go, the six-figure Baby Boomer set are always bragging about their endless travels. What does one say to this? "I got to go to Buffalo in 1992, that was my last air plane trip?" When Ingrid and Betty talk about their trips to Rome, Greece and India, it gets draining. Given the financial disconnect between these oldsters and their younger counterparts, one can see who really did vote for Trump and has no idea of how the rest of us struggle.

I got a bit irate at a few, and said, "Wow I'd go to Europe if I won the Lotto!" A self-help group, a past bible-study and now a community class, it's happened several times. I hear about the multiple far-flung  vacations and more. How do they all have thousands of dollars to take these trips? Are they trying to elicit jealousy? And it's not just one "once in a lifetime trip" they are talking about but multiple ones, with pictures to share. I don't relate to the people I live around. So many of them their lives are nothing but saving face and bragging about their experiences bucket list style.  Yes, I know not every Baby Boomer is rich, maybe they drive their poorer counterparts nuts, too. Honestly maybe it's better I stayed home, because they'd be the ones surrounding me on the plane, or around those cute cafes and expensive shops they wax on on about---The Squawker. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Squawker, past Bible study, and presently a community group, that doesn't surprise me one bit. Those snooty-tooties (wolves?) dun run off the Lord's children. i am grateful that the Lord gave me enough common sense to not have pee'd $$$ (we don't have) just to tell everybody and their cousin about the latest va-ca. So many of these braggarts are going to end up barely having enough for a coffee at the hospital cafeteria. Sincerely, Susie the Beanfreak

    ReplyDelete